Stable Mail Server And Web Mail

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Sat May 30 15:53:42 UTC 2009

On Saturday 30 May 2009 17:31:35 Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> is this a reason, or that simply mysql is just slow and inefficient
> compared to postgreSQL?

Depends on your usage. I'd say for SMTP table lookups, MySQL can out perform
PostgreSQL, unless one uses persistent connections (postfix proxy-map to be on
topic). The reason for this is that the connection start up for MySQL has
lower overhead then for PostgreSQL. So typically with small tables (lookup
maps for transport and users are generally not in the order of millions) and
lots of connections MySQL could win. On the other hand, PostgreSQL scales
better, especially now that the Sysv IPC shared memory limit in FreeBSD has
been fixed. [1]

The reason for my original remark is that Oracle now acquired SAP DB, MySQL
and Berkeley DB, so the best scenario I can see is that they improve the
underused Berkeley DB table handler for MySQL and leave the rest in-tact, but
I more expect them to phase out MySQL or grow it with Oracle features, neither
of which I personally consider a good thing.

[1]
<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=182581+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2009/freebsd-
hackers/20090315.freebsd-hackers>
--