On the need for moderated questions lists

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri May 29 20:46:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 07:13:49PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >software that runs on multiple OSes (and not *just* FreeBSD) to run an
> >extra system, running some other OS.
>
> no. i expect them to ask THAT program support.
>
> In really rare cases when they got an answer like
> "You did all fine, i have the same configured program in my
> linux/openbsd/netbsd/solaris/whatever OS and it works fine"

So . . . basically, it's okay for someone to ask about X if that person
also runs Linux, but not if that person doesn't.  That's the logical
consequence of your argument thus far.  How well have you actually
thought this through?

> They it's place to ask because certainly there's something wrong with the
> port.

I don't recall that being an obvious and necessary condition of the
example -- and that didn't seem to matter when you suggested that it
might be on-topic if the querent also happens to have a Linux-based
system handy.

Quoth FreeBSD Secure Programming Guidelines: "In fact, never ever use
gets() or sprintf(), period. If you do - we will send evil dwarfs after
you."