On the need for moderated questions lists

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri May 29 17:05:47 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 03:14:20PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> >Not necessarily.
> >
> >There were 'rules' in Nazi Germany too, and there usually exist at least
> >some 'rules' in oppressive regimes, but they do not necessarily, by
> >virtue of their mere existence, lead to satisfying results.
>
> The difference is that you have choice here, people living in Nazi Germany
> (and Poland) that times didn't.

Let's de-Godwinize this, and just use the generic "dictatorship" idea to
stand in for "Nazi Germany".  In fact, let's go a step further and assume
a benign dictatorship -- even benevolent, from some perspectives -- since
I'm sure we're assuming a strictly moderated list would be intended to
help rather than merely control.

So . . . you have the same choice in a dictatorship that you have in a
benign dictatorship: leave.

Mediocrity corrupts.  Bureaucracy corrupts absolutely.