Canon printer and TurboPrint

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu May 28 20:29:56 UTC 2009

On Thu, 28 May 2009 22:24:46 +0200 (CEST), Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

> > in general, I would agree, but some BASIC FUNCTIONALITY should
> > be brought by the printer itself, and if it's only ASCII printing,
> > so things like
> >
> > 	% ls /etc > /dev/ulpt0
>
> what's wrong in ls /etc|lpr
> ?

The problem is that by default, no printer is talked to. If
the printer has PS or PCL, gs or even apsfilter will help.
The above command works, for example, with a line printer
(dotmatrix printer) with NO driver, even works with a HP
Laserjet - it uses the built-in text fonts to print the
text.

I just wish "modern" printers would at least have a single
font for text printing - and finally a driver for FreeBSD
(or much better, a standard compliance that makes use of
PS, PCL or something similar).

> it's even easier to set up that standard than it was to set up PCL
> standard.
> [...]
> incredibly simple to implement both in printer and software.
>
> but looks like too difficult for manufacturers.

When they would tell on the box "Works with every system, no
driver needed", the customer would surely think that something
is missing, like "batteries not includec" - "What? I have to
buy extra batteries? No way!" :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany