Canon printer and TurboPrint

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Thu May 28 19:44:01 UTC 2009

> That was true in the past, but today, it's much more complicated
> than just regularing an article's quality over the price. You
> can - without any problems - get crap for (too) much money. You
> pay for a brand name, or a standard's name, but you get crap.

HP products (printers, cameras, and other office equipment) are really
perfect examples.

I mean new HP products, not those 10-20 years ago where HP was expensive
but really good.

> Exactly. Even el-anachronismo dotmatrix printers could turn
> simple text, transmitted to the parallel port, into printed
> form. Today's el-stupido printers can't.

I don't agree it's bad idea of removing processing hardware from printer.
It's good idea as such processing is a blink of eye for today computers.

The problem is that there is NO STANDARD for raw bitmap printers.
If it would - then just adding this to ghostscript would be few hours of
work.