Remotely edit user disk quota

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu May 28 16:38:09 UTC 2009

On Thu, 28 May 2009 09:04:43 -0500, Kirk Strauser <kirk at strauser.com> wrote:
> Well, I can transfer 25MB/s between hosts on the LAN without my CPU ever
> breaking 10% CPU usage.  I'm of the opinion that most people don't need to
> optimize for CPU in such cases when the security payoffs are so great.

As Wojciech pointed out correctly before, security is only as
good as the weakest point. Of course you can add security by
using SSH, and it's definitely indicated when doing things via
the Internet. As long as you are inside your own net, covered
from the Internet, with only trustworthy machines inside it,
you could even use telnet.

Connecting systems by a security tunnel that already adds means
of cryptography, and you consider this tunnel to be secure
enough, the above situation applies. But you can always SSH
inside a security tunnel, if you want. It just increases
security. "The more the better." :-) At the point where this
"the more" generates so much overhead that things are lagging,
stalling or just work much too slow, or slower than they
should, you can re-thing the situation.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany