removing distfiles?

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Thu May 28 09:51:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, 28 May 2009 03:22:07 +0100
RW <rwmaillists at googlemail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 27 May 2009 21:34:58 -0400
>Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com> wrote:

[snip]

>That's what I used to think until I  deleted some java distfiles, and
>had to go though the rigmarole  of getting all the various files
>manually. There's also the possibility that a distfile gets rerolled
>and local copy is the only one that matches the port checksums. Disk
>space is cheap, the extra files don't add up to much in practice. The
>real advantage of cleaning comes from not have ten copies of kdebase
>and the like.

That is why I keep a backup of all the 'java' src files in ~/java just
so I can replace them in /usr/ports/distfiles if required. Other than
for the 'java' files. I completely delete all files in the 'distfiles'
directory. They server no useful purpose and can always be downloaded
again if required.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an art.

	Charles McCabe