Help logging kernel messages after failed resume

Gonzalo Nemmi gnemmi at gmail.com
Wed May 27 23:13:27 UTC 2009

OK, it goes like this:

Dell Inspiron 1318, "boot -v" can be found in here:
http://pastebin.com/f3a1c204a

sysctl -a | grep hw.acpi | sort can be found in here:
http://pastebin.com/fcfc0035

First shot: Try the "Livefs CD", "myhost# acpiconf -s 3" WORKS !!!
The machine goes into suspend state and
resumes_from_it_without_any_problems !!

Second shot: Install ... "myhost# acpiconf -s 3" does not work
anymore ...

I issue a "myhost# acpiconf -s 3" and then I get a kernel
message: "fwohci0: fwohci_acpi_suspend" ... The machine enters suspend
state ... so far so good.

Now, when I try yo resume from suspend, the machine spouts a plethora of
kernel errors .. most notable ones beign "bge0" errors, "fwohci0"
errors and the following ...:

ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFERMODE taskqueue timeout -
completing request directly
ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFERMODE taskqueue timeout -
completing request directly
ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE RCACHE taskqueue timeout - completing
request directly
ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE WCACHE taskqueue timeout - completing
request directly
ad4: WARNING - SET_MULTI taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
ata3: port not implemented
ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFERMODE taskqueue timeout -
completing request directly
ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFERMODE taskqueue timeout -
completing request directly
ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE RCACHE taskqueue timeout - completing
request directly
ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE WCACHE taskqueue timeout - completing
request directly
ad4: WARNING - SET_MULTI taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
ad4: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA48 retryng (1 retry left) LBA=272675445

As you can tell by now, the machine never recovers from "-s 3" (or
suspend to ram).

The thing is, ad4 never gets back to life ... as a consecuence, even if
the kernel trows its messages to stdout, they never get logged !

Is there a way to record those messages so I can post them on the
corresponding list and file all the PRs I'm about to file??

Note: I can ssh into the notebook, then "su -" and issue "acpiconf -s
3", but I can't get the notebook to WOL .. so .. I have to press the
power button on the notebook to get it to resume and as a consecuence,
those messages are sent to stdout (notebook screen) and I can't get
them on the ssh client. SCRIPT(1) it's not a solution either .. because
ad4 never gets back to life .. so script can't record a thing after it
went into suspend :(

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Just in case you are wondering what happens if I boot with ACPI
disabled: Fatal trap 9

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-acpi/2009-May/005734.html

Best Regards
--