FreeBSD & Software RAID

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Wed May 27 20:08:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 09:24:17PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > I haven't looked at the ZFS code but this sort of thing is exactly why
> > all code I write uses int8_t, int16_t, int32_t, uint8_t, ... even when
> > the first thing I have to do with a new compiler is to work out the
> > proper typedefs to create them.
>
> int, short and char are portable,

Not completely, at least as far as C is concerned. I'd say that char and
long are portable, but not short and int.

According to K&R (and I don't think this has changed in later
standards), a char is defined as one byte. Short, int and long can vary
but short and int must be at least 16 bits, and a long must be at least
32 bits. Additionally a short may not be longer than an int which may
not be longer than a long. But the size of an int depends on hardware
platform and compiler data model.

Roland