FreeBSD & Software RAID

Gary Gatten Ggatten at waddell.com
Tue May 26 18:16:14 UTC 2009

Why avoid ZFS on x86?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Kirk Strauser
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 12:39 PM
To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: FreeBSD & Software RAID

On Monday 25 May 2009 08:57:48 am Howard Jones wrote:

> I'm was half-considering switching to ZFS, but the most positive thing
> could find written about that (as implemented on FreeBSD) is that it
> "doesn't crash that much", so perhaps not. That was from a while ago
> though.

Wojciech hates it for some reason, but I wouldn't let that deter you.
I'm
using ZFS on several production machines now and it's been beautifully
solid
the whole time.  It has several huge advantages over UFS:

  - Filesystem sizes are dynamic.  They all grow and shrink inside the
same
pool, so you don't have to worry about making one too large or too
small.

  - You can sort of think of a ZFS filesystem as a directory with a set
of
configurable, inheritable attributes.  Set your /usr/ports to use
compression,
and tell /home to keep two copies of everything for safety's sake.

  - Snapshots aren't painful.

It's been 100% reliable on every amd64 machine I've put it on (but avoid
it on
x86!).  7-STABLE hasn't required any tuning since February or so.

UFS and gstripe/gmirror/graid* are good, but ZFS has spoiled me and I
won't be
going back.
--
Kirk Strauser