How to remove redundant login in a FreeBSD live CD?

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Tue May 26 10:48:20 UTC 2009

Unga wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I made a live CD based on FreeBSD 7.2. When the CD boots, it prompts for a login. Type root without password can log in. It seems this login is redundant.
>
> How to remove this redundant login?
>
> Best regards
> Unga

I found this info in a text file of mine (copied from somewhere, but
don't remember the source). I remember I used it once to create an
autologin workstation for someone who really wouldn't want to know
anything about usernames, password or this while unix type of thing. And
as I recall it worked ;)

1. Add to the /etc/gettytab file the following strings:

             test:\
                 :al=test:ht:np:sp#115200:

Explanation:

            test:\   - entry name, autologin will use this username;
            al=test - autologin username;
            ht - terminal has real tabs;
            np - 8-bit chars;
            (optional) sp#115200 - line speed;

2. Edit /etc/ttys file:

           ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty test"         cons25 on  secure

Change 'Pc' with test.