FreeBSD & Software RAID

Graeme Dargie arab at tangerine-army.co.uk
Mon May 25 17:47:19 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Wojciech Puchar [mailto:wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl]
Sent: 25 May 2009 18:09
To: FreeBSD-Questions at freebsd.org
Cc: Howard Jones; Graeme Dargie; Valentin Bud
Subject: Re: FreeBSD & Software RAID

> I have looked at ZFS recently. Appears to be a memory hog, needs about
1
> GB especially if large file transfers may occur over gigabit ethernet
while it CAN be set up on 256MB machine with a little big flags in
loader.conf (should be autotuned anyway) - it generally takes as much
memory as it's available, and LOTS of CPU power.

with similar operations ZFS takes 10-20 TIMES more CPU than UFS and it's

NOT faster than properly configured UFS. doesn't  make  any sense