netbooks vs FreeBSD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun May 24 14:56:21 UTC 2009

On Sun, 24 May 2009 15:52:29 +0200, Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> wrote:
> I have a real netbook, an EeePC 900 with 20 GByte SSD, Wifi, 1024x600 9"
> display and an attached USB Huawei E220 dongel for UMTS. I have
> installed 8-CURRENT and all works as it should, only the inbuild cam is
> not supported, but I don't neet this at the moment (maybe later when Skype
> for FreeBSD can do video as well).

I would tend to buy one myself in the future, especially for
LAN and WLAN diagnostics (at the customer's site). I like the
concept of the SSD in opposite to a "moving parts" classical
hard disk. Size and battery life are okay (for what they are
intended for), and I think older models of the EeePC will
get a bit cheaper over the time. I'm very greedy, so I mostly
think: "Do I REALLY need this - and spend money on it?" :-)

There is a nice description about how to install FreeBSD on
this device at http://www.unixarea.de/installEeePC.txt - and
I can't wait to try this out. But I'm sure I would not want
to run KDE or Gnome on this thing...

Of course, it would be nice to have access to the camera (at
least you paid for it), be it by Skype or simply by mencoder.
Maybe it will be supported in the future.

By the way, can you tell me how expensive (approx.) is the
UMTS dongle, and how much is using it? (I'm curious, and
since you're from a .de domain, your answer should apply
to me, too.)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany