Xorg manual configuration

freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Wed May 20 10:54:24 UTC 2009

I haven't got any response to Xorg in a jail, so I'll try and wing it... That said, I do need some help trying to figure out how to:

1. Determine exactly what Xorg is probing for (what details it needs, etc). So far I think I need memory address ranges, chipsets, etc. Found a lot of stuff in the log, but I'm not sure if its enough or all I need.

2. Then take the details and set them out in the Xorg.conf. (VideoAdaptor Section?)

What I'm finding really annoying is why the manual configuration systems are completely unavailable as of now. I remember my first crack at getting X running on a 4.3 system, and having to go through screens of configurations for the monitor, card, inputs, etc. Ok, its cool now that we don't need to do this anymore, but it does kill things if you're trying this in a system which is restrictive.

>From all the info I gathered so far /dev/io is used for the probing. IF the details are entered manually, then surely this would mean it doesn't need io. I'm still not sure what to do about /dev/mem and /dev/kmem.

This is just an experiment- please do humour me and let me have my fun trying to bang my head even against the brick wall- who knows? Maybe I'll get somewhere... :)

---- Msg sent via @Mail - http://atmail.com/