Disappointed with version 6.0

David Roberts davidtroberts at pacbell.net
Mon May 18 17:03:52 UTC 2009

Hi, I was reading this thread as the problem I'm having seems quite similar,
and with version 7.2, although I had the same behavior with 6.3 as well.

The only variation on the dialog below is I do not have any CDROM or other
device attached.  My configuration is:

 primary IDE: 10GB Seagate

 seconardy IDE: 80GB Maxtor

My dmesg is giving me

ad0: 9541MB <Seagate ST310212A 3.39> at ata0-master UDMA66

ad2: DMA limited to UDMA33, controller found non-ATA66 cable

ad2: 76345MB <MAXTOR 6L080L4 A93.0500> at ata1-master UDMA33ad0: 9541MB
<Seagate ST310212A 3.39> at ata0-master UDMA66

ad2: DMA limited to UDMA33, controller found non-ATA66 cable

ad2: 76345MB <MAXTOR 6L080L4 A93.0500> at ata1-master UDMA33

Any ideas?

On Friday 10 March 2006 22:57, Peter wrote:

> I'm setting up a new server on 6.0 I've been planning for a long time

> and I am very disappointed with two critical issues.  My motherboard

> is the ASUS K8V-X SE that I chose because it was listed as compatible

> at the FreeBSD/amd64 Project:

> http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64/motherboards.html

> I wonder if going back to 5.4 might help?

> Onto the problems...

> 1. I have 4 IDE drives:

> primary controller: Maxtor 40 GB hd (master) and LG cdrom (slave)

> secondary controller: Seagate Barracuda 200 GB hd (master) and

> Seagate Barracuda 300 GB (slave)

> Problem: The 300 GB drive is unusable.

> I set it up ok with sysinstall during the installation but the system

> will not boot properly if it has an entry in /etc/fstab.  I get many

> errors like:

> "ad3: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=63"

> I also get input/output error if I try to examine its label with

> disklabel.

> dmesg output is at the end of this post when I booted without fstab

> line.

> The strange thing is that the two drives on the secondary controller

> are so similar.  Same manufacturer, same product line, the speeds are

> the same.  Everything is the same except the size.  I ran dos-level

> diagnostics on it and no problems were found.

> 2.  I can't use my USB ports!

> I get a line like this for each of my ports:

> uhci0:  port 0xb800-0xb81f irq 21 at

> device 16.0 on pci0

> uhci0: [GIANT-LOCKED]

> Copyright (c) 1992-2005 The FreeBSD Project.

> Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993,

> 1994

>       The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

> FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Nov  3 09:36:13 UTC 2005

>     root at x64.samsco.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC

> ACPI APIC Table:

> Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0

> CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ (2002.58-MHz 686-class CPU)

>   Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0xf4a  Stepping = 10

> Features=0x78bfbffGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2> AMD

> Features=0xe0500800

> real memory  = 536543232 (511 MB)

> avail memory = 515702784 (491 MB)

< snip >

> ad0: DMA limited to UDMA33, device found non-ATA66 cable

> ad0: 39205MB  at ata0-master UDMA33

> acd0: CDROM  at ata0-slave PIO4

> ad2: 190782MB  at ata1-master UDMA100

> ad3: 286168MB  at ata1-slave UDMA100

> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a

You've got a problem alright, and you don't even see it.

==========================

The ata driver sets the maximum transfer mode supported by the hardware

as default.  However the ata driver sometimes warns: ``DMA limited to

UDMA33, non-ATA66 cable or device''.  This means that the ata driver

has detected that the required 80 conductor cable is not present or

could not be detected properly, or that one of the devices on the

channel only accepts up to UDMA2/ATA33.

==========================

You've got your 40GB Maxtor (you've installed FreeBSD on it), an ATA100

device, connected with your CDROM, an ATA33 device. The result is: your

boot drive is running at UDMA33 instead of UDMA100. This is not going

to work real well, as you can see.

Do you really need that 40GB Maxtor? If you do, you're going to have to

try adding an ATA controller card into one of your PCI slots and use

that to connect your hard drives to.

Try removing the 40GB Maxtor and reinstalling FreeBSD on the other two

drives. I think that will clear up some problems for you.

Don