matlab 2009a

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun May 17 09:56:37 UTC 2009

On Sun, 17 May 2009 08:46:29 +0200 (CEST), Pieter Donche <Pieter.Donche at ua.ac.be> wrote:
> FreeBSD7-amd64
> linux_base-fc-4_14  Base set of packages needed in Linux mode (for i386/amd64)
>
> When running the install script, I get
>
> cat: /proc/cpuinfo: No such file or directory
> Error: Your computer's processor is missing the SSE2 instructions that
>         are required for MATLAB to run correctly.
>         For system requirements consult http://www.mathworks.com ...
>
> What is this /proc/cpuinfo file not found?

It's a "Linuxism". :-) Because it's a Linux program, you have
to make sure that linprocfs is loaded. Usually it's mounted
in /usr/compat/linux/proc, but the install script seems to
expect cpuinfo in /proc (which is FreeBSD's proc), so it
cannot be found.

You can, however, mount the Linux procfs in /proc, everything
should be working then. To get this state automatically after
startup, add

	linproc	/proc	linprocfs	rw	0	0

to your /etc/fstab.

The call "cat /proc/cpuinfo" will work. Example:

	% cat /usr/compat/linux/proc/cpuinfo
	processor       : 0
	vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
	cpu family      : 6
	model           : 16
	model name      : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.00GHz
	stepping        : 9
	flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr
	                  pge mca cmov pat pse36 b19 b21 mmxext mmx fxsr
	                  xmm b26 b27 b28 b29 3dnow
	cpu MHz         : 2018.20
	bogomips        : 2018.20

--