How to move vi to /bin

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Fri May 15 15:45:13 UTC 2009

On Friday 15 May 2009 08:46:46 Manish Jain wrote:
> Mel Flynn wrote:
> > On Wednesday 13 May 2009 09:21:46 manish jain wrote:
> >> I want to move vi to /bin so that I have an editor available in
> >> single-user mode.
> >
> > The only reason to need an editor and not have /usr and /var available is
> > to edit /etc/fstab. It is trivial to spot errors with /rescue/cat and fix
> > with /rescue/sed, without having to worry about a terminal.
> >
> > In all other cases:
> > fsck -p
> > /etc/rc.d/mountcritlocal start
> > /etc/rc.d/ldconfig start
> >
> > And one can use any editor one would want. Don't forget to export or
> > setenv TERM to cons25 from 'dumb'.
>
>  From all the discussion I have walked through on the issue of where to
> place vi, it does appear FreeBSD has a skewed policy on the issue. There
> are plenty of reasons you might need access an editor in single-user
> mode - editing  fstab is just one.

You didn't read what I wrote.
The above works in single user mode and does not magically transform you to
multi-user. Just reboot in single user mode, type the above and then
/usr/bin/vi /etc/rc.conf.

You will see that it works. In fact, if you have vim installed,
/usr/local/bin/vim /etc/rc.conf will work.

--
Mel