USB WLAN Atheros and USB Ethernet FBSD 7.2

Maciej Milewski milu at dat.pl
Fri May 15 15:42:05 UTC 2009

Friday 15 May 2009 17:15:37 Mel Flynn napisał(a):
> On Friday 15 May 2009 13:04:50 Saša Stupar wrote:
> > I suggest you to buy a good AP (Lynksys, Asus, etc.) and it will work
> > much better than building it from FreeBSD.
>
> And this is based on which assumption with what criteria for "working
> better"? On my FreeBSD AP I can:
> - view my logs in realtime
> - shape traffic
> - deny/grant access at will without requiring rule reloads (pf tables ftw)
> - send custom DHCP info, like:
> option wpad code 252 = text;
> option wpad "http://10.0.0.1/proxy.pac";
> - configure over ssh
> - add memory
> - control internal and external DNS
>
> Etcetera.

Well, in my opinion those things you can achieve using AP connected to
ethernet card of your computer. But there aro other problems in this solution:
- knowing of connected wifi clients
- changing some WiFi settings
- reseting AP
Many AP systems are configurable through web interface so it is additional
problem. If you set it only once and forget about it or you have someone who
can reset this AP then it's possible to do.

For me there is better if it is one device not two - the configuration in this
case could be simpler.

But I second for the advice to use PCI/mPCI cards not USB ones.

--
Regards,
Maciej Milewski