virtual network with qemu

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Thu May 14 13:52:52 UTC 2009

On Thu, 14 May 2009 13:39:17 +0200
"marco\.borsatino\@poste\.it" <marco.borsatino at poste.it> wrote:

> First, thank you.
> You are right, qemu has an internal DHCP server, which should be
> perfect for me, becuse I would like to emulate a network without any
> contact with external (real) world. The problem is that my virtual PC
> can't ping the gateway. For my idea (this is just a way to study a
> project for a network without a real network) the communication is
> intended only among virtual PCs. But If I can't contact the (virtual)
> gateway will it be possible to contact another virtual PC on a
> different subnet?

The problem is that ping is a setuid binary, so qemu cant send a ping
into the outside world as an ordinary user process. I think you may be
able to ping between two emulated machine within qemu. Even if you
can't it might be worth staying with qemu's networking, if pings aren't
essential, as it sounds closer to what you need than networking via
tap.