Disabling ssh timeouts?

Uwe Laverenz uwe at laverenz.de
Wed May 13 11:13:56 UTC 2009

Steve Kargl schrieb:

> Is there anyway to disable sshd from timing out a connection?
> I've tried setting  ClientAliveCountMax and ClientAliveInterval
> and TCPKeepAlive in sshd.conf, but no combination that I've
> tried has worked.

Possibly it's not ssh that closes the connection. Are there any routers
between your machine and the remote one? If this is the case it could be
one of the routers that has a low timeout for recognizing a connection
as "alive". This happens especially if NAT is used, because the router
has to keep a table of ip:port pairs for each connection. This should
happen only if there is no traffic on the connection within this timeout
limit.

Uwe