Installing Unix

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue May 12 16:40:43 UTC 2009

On Tue, 12 May 2009 16:52:15 +0100, Ese Oronsaye <eoronsaye at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I am a newbie to Unix with no experience in installing unix operating
> system.

Then welcome to FreeBSD! I'm sure you'll have a great time
learning about FreeBSD and of course using it. :-)

> Have been through Download Freebsd but not quite sure what I should
> download.

This depends on what you're going to do. In most cases, the ISO
for a bootable CD or DVD is needed. Which version you will have to
download depends on the hardware you're going to install the OS on.

> What is ISO and Distribution not quite sure which I should download.

The ISO is a pre-mastered file system (ISO 9660) that you usually
record onto a CD or DVD. The distribution directories contain the
"plain files". Easiest thing: Go with the ISO.

> Can anyone help me with this.

Have a look at FreeBSD's excellent documentation. The
most interesting for you will surely be:

FAQ 3.1. Which file do I download to get FreeBSD?
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/install.html

Handbook Chapter 2 Installing FreeBSD
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.html

Further documentation can be found here:

	The FAQ
	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/

	The Handbook
	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/