Wake-on-LAN support in FreeBSD?

Peter Steele psteele at maxiscale.com
Tue May 12 14:10:41 UTC 2009

>In some cases (depending on the NIC and the BIOS) WOL works even without
>OS support. It might be worth testing before you do anything else.

I've tried various experiments with the wol command to try to wake up one of our boxes with no luck. We're using the stock nVidia driver. There is also no mention of wake-on-LAN in the BIOS, although there is an option for enabling wake-on-ring (something different). I've sent an email to our suppliers to see what they have to say about wake-on-LAN support for these boxes. We may need a BIOS upgrade.