FreeBSD 8.0 i386 200905 snapshot DVD does not boot

Saifi Khan saifi.khan at twincling.org
Sun May 10 17:12:47 UTC 2009

Hi all:

The FreeBSD 8.0 i386 200905 snapshot DVD does not boot up.

I'm on a normal Celeron 1.6GHz Presario C300TU laptop
with 160GB HDD and 2GB DDR2 RAM.

The system just whirrs up the DVD drive, the LEDs blink for a few
moments and then the installed FreeBSD 7.1 screen is presented.

I tested the DVD drive by putting in the old FreeBSD 7.1 DVD and
it works fine.

As an additional investigation i wrote another DVD with -J -R
flags (unnecessary though in my opinion) and even this DVD does
not get booted up.

The first thing i did was do a md5sum on the downloaded .ISO
image and that is fine.

Has anybody tried FreeBSD 8.0 i386 200905 DVD and could get it
to boot ? Is there something that i'm missing here ?
Any pointers are appreciated.

thanks
Saifi.