print test page - false negative

Andrew Gould andrewlylegould at gmail.com
Fri May 8 15:22:38 UTC 2009

Just an anecdote to any of you who may be having trouble configuring
printing:

I installed FreeBSD 7.2 Release with CUPS and gutenprint-cups.  The printer
in question is an Epson Stylus Photo R280, which is supported by
gutenprint.  After configuring CUPS, including permissions for /dev/ulpt0, I
could print; but the test page came out as garbage.  In a moment of
frustration, I tried to print the CUPS configuration window from the File
menu in firefox......it worked!  I then shutdown and left to see Star Trek
before anything could go wrong.  :-)

I'll try to print from other applications later.

Andrew