7.2 Installation Problem - Large Disk

Benjamin Lee ben at b1c1l1.com
Fri May 8 03:13:59 UTC 2009

On 05/07/2009 07:28 PM, Paul Stewart wrote:
> Hi there..
>

> I hope this is the correct mailing list to ask this question.
>

> I have a Dell Poweredge R710 server (brand new)... 7.2-RELEASE installs fine
> but I'm having a problem getting any large partitions over approximately
> 500GB.  During the installation it allows me to create 4.5TB partition but
> after rebooting it's only really 500GB +/-
>

> Has anyone successfully installed into a disk this large?  This is a RAID5
> array using the Dell Perc 6/I controller
>

> I have installed now 6+ times with smaller partitions (100GB even) and run
> into problems . hoping someone could share how they got large disk support
> working..  I'd be happy with several 1TB partitions but when I configure it
> this way and exceed 4 partitions it tells me disk error creating
> partitions..

Unfortunately, MBR and BSD disklabel use 32 bit values, so they are
limited to 2TB.  GPT uses 64 bit values, but I don't believe that
FreeBSD fully supports it.  You can see the Big Disk project page [1]
for more information.

As a workaround, you may wish redo your RAID configuration so that you
have multiple logical volumes (e.g. 2T, 2T, 0.5T).

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/projects/bigdisk/index.html

--
Benjamin Lee
http://www.b1c1l1.com/