Dump snapshot issue...

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue May 5 18:33:29 UTC 2009

"Marc Coyles" <mcoyles at horbury.wakefield.sch.uk> writes:

> I've got a script that dumps various filesystems to tape for me, but
> I've always had an issue whenever I've used the -L option... see below:
>
> /usr/bin/mt rewind
> /sbin/dump 0aLuf /dev/sa0 /
> dump: Cannot create //.snap/dump_snapshot: No such file or directory
>
> /sbin/dump 0aLuf /dev/sa0 /home
> mksnap_ffs: Cannot create /home/.snap/dump_snapshot: Input/output error
> dump: Cannot create /home/.snap/dump_snapshot: No such file or directory
>
> /sbin/dump 0aLuf /dev/sa0 /tmp
> dump: Cannot create /tmp/.snap/dump_snapshot: No such file or directory
>
> /sbin/dump 0aLuf /dev/sa0 /usr
> dump: Cannot create /usr/.snap/dump_snapshot: No such file or directory
>
> /sbin/dump 0aLuf /dev/sa0 /var
> dump: Cannot create /var/.snap/dump_snapshot: No such file or directory
>
> /usr/bin/mt rewind
>

> The .snap folders exist at all points, are set to root:operator, with
> perms 770...
> The dump_snapshot files seem to be present, albeit 0 bytes,
> root:operator, perms 400...
>
> Running 7.0-RELEASE-p11...
>
> Any suggestions?

Wow.  That's strange.  I've never seen anything like it.

One thing you should try is to remove the dump_snapshot files, because
they are supposed to be unlinked when the dump starts anyway, so they
shouldn't be sticking around.

Also, look for file flags on the directories, or ACLs, etc.

And consider the permissions you're running dump with.

Good luck.
		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/