Upgrading jails to 7.2-RELEASE with freebsd-update

Martin Turgeon freebsd at optiksecurite.com
Tue May 5 15:37:32 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

It's the first time I'm using freebsd-update to upgrade my system to a
new release. I just upgraded the base system from 7.1-RELEASE to
7.2-RELEASE and everything went fine. I now wanted to upgrade my jails
to the new release but freebsd-update is telling me that's already
updated...

freebsd-update -b /usr/jail/mysql/ upgrade -r 7.2-RELEASE
freebsd-update: Cannot upgrade from 7.2-RELEASE to itself

I understand that the jails are sharing the kernel and that
freebsd-update must be verifying the version of the kernel. So I tried
to just fetch install the update in the jail.

freebsd-update -b /usr/jail/mysql/ fetch install
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 6 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 7.2-RELEASE from update5.FreeBSD.org...
done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

No updates needed to update system to 7.2-RELEASE-p0.
No updates are available to install.
Run '/usr/sbin/freebsd-update fetch' first.

I already used the -b option to update my jails with security updates,
but never to a new release. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks everyone for sharing!

Martin