NIC

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon May 4 20:23:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, 4 May 2009, Jos Chrispijn wrote:

> In order to speed up my LAN backups a little bit, I would like to replace my
> old 10/100 nic with a 10/100/1000 one.
> Should be placed in an ancient Dell of 5 years old. Can someone pls advise on
> the type nic I should buy (not necessarily a Dell brand)?

The Intel cards are well regarded.  A Pro/1000 (PWLA8391GT) works well
here.

Many other brands of gigabit cards are based on Realtek chipsets, which
are not as well regarded.  The Realtek gigabit built into the MSI P45
Neo-3 FR motherboard seems to work fine.

Probably everyone else will point this out also, but replacing the card
alone won't give you gigabit; you also need a switch and maybe new
wiring.