lost+found

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat May 2 21:06:36 UTC 2009

On Sat, 02 May 2009 15:45:13 -0400, PJ <af.gourmet at videotron.ca> wrote:
> [~]# cd /tmp/lost+found/#123456
> [/tmp/lost+found/#123456]# ls

Okay, it's empty.

> [/tmp/lost+found/#123456]# cd ..

Strange, why does .. lead you from /tmp/lost+found/#123456
to /tmp/lost+found/#123456, just as if cd wasn't executed?

> [/tmp/lost+found/#123456]# cd #123456 this returns and empty directory)

Does /tmp/lost+found/#123456 contain another #123456? And
why does this cd lead you to your (root's) home directory?

> [~]# ls (this returns the listing of the contents of /root

Of course, because CWD is ~ now.

> Whoops! What is going on? I'd like to delete this /tmp/lost+found/
> directory but, being very wary, I don't want to take the risk (probably
> none) to delete it since there is no indication that this is a symbolic
> link and might delte the actual /root/ directory withoug getting some
> information about this occurrence.

The best idea would be to copy the content of /root into
another directory first, then performing the rm operation,
and afterwards, if something went wrong, restore /root from
this backup copy.

Very strange... Just to be sure, are you SURE you reported
the paths (in the prompt) and the commands correctly?

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0