French-Canadian Keyboard & keyboard switching

PJ af.gourmet at videotron.ca
Fri May 1 15:34:18 UTC 2009

Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> On Friday 01 May 2009 15:57:35 PJ wrote:
>> The physical keyboard is a Compaq, identical layout of the Logitech I
>> am using on this XP. This one is set to switch beween us & canadian
>> multi.
>> But the ca(multi) setting does not work either alone or with the us
>> for switching. The accent keys are dead. Maybe the option for the
>> keys should be set to nodeadkeys.
>> But this is not worth pursuing as I am spending too much time on this
>> as is. I have things under control, it just seems strange that the
>> ca(multi) cannot be installed. Could be fluxbox? Oh well.
>
> I just tried ca(multi) under fluxbox and it just works. What version of
> Xorg do you have (output of "X -version")? And what is the output of
> "grep xkb_symbols /usr/local/share/X11/xkb/symbols/ca"?

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "X.org Configured"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Option    "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option  "CoreKeyboard" "yes"
    Option    "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option  "XkbLayout" "us,ca(multi)"
    Option  "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option  "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
    Option  "CustomKeycodes" "on"
EndSection
====from log:
(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
(**) Keyboard0: always reports core events
(**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
(**) Keyboard0: Protocol: standard
(**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbRules: "xorg"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbModel: "pc105"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us,ca(multi)"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbLayout: "us,ca(multi)"
(**) Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbOptions: "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "on"
(**) Keyboard0: CustomKeycodes enabled
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
(II) config/hal: Adding input device AT Keyboard
(**) AT Keyboard: always reports core events
(**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
(**) AT Keyboard: Protocol: standard
(**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
(**) AT Keyboard: XkbRules: "xorg"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
(**) AT Keyboard: XkbModel: "pc105"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
(**) AT Keyboard: XkbLayout: "us"
(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
(**) AT Keyboard: CustomKeycodes disabled
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "AT Keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)
====
Any idea if "CustomKeycodes" should be used? Strange that it looks like
its off for one (which one} I added this but I have no idea where or if
it should be used. Had no effect, anyway. The switch works but the
ca(multi) just does not.
Or do we have to set up a another keyboard like Keyboard1 ? I'm lost.
--
Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."
Phil Jourdan --- pj at ptahhotep.com
http://www.ptahhotep.com
http://www.chiccantine.com/andypantry.php