UTF-8 file + console

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Tue Mar 31 09:06:46 PDT 2009

On Tuesday 31 March 2009 12:48:19 Maciej Milewski wrote:
> Tuesday 31 March 2009 12:15:33 Paul B. Mahol napisał(a):

> > > That might be a configuration issue rather than the program.
> > > ("EN" in particular ;-)
> >
> > Generally speaking FreeBSD console doesnt support UTF-8. So even if
> > program (in this case vim) supports UTF-8 it will not work.
>
> What about editing with vim and setting manualy fileencoding=utf8?
> Next time you open this file vim should know that it is utf8 file or am I
> wrong?

To be absolutely clear:
the FreeBSD console does not support UTF-8, so if you're sitting at the box it
will not work. For one there is no font for unicode, for two, the tty code
does at present not know how to translate the characters into screen output
even if there was a font. Work is being done for this, though.

If you're ssh'd into the box using an xterm or variant on your desktop,
anything is possible as rendering the characters is the client's
responsibility.
--
Mel