Question about forcing fsck at boottime

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 31 05:24:19 PDT 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 08:15:54 +0200
Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 31 March 2009 08:05:11 manish jain wrote:
>
> > I am migrating from Linux and am still learning the basics of
> > FreeBSD. One thing that I would to carry over from my Linux days is
> > to force an fsck on all filesystems at system startup. On Linux,
> > this was simply a matter of editing /etc/rc.sysinit. Things seem a
> > bit more complicated in the BSD world. Can somebody please point me
> > in the right direction ?
>
> fsck -p is done by default (meaning, filesystems are not fully
> scanned if they are marked clean). If pruning fails, background_fsck
> is checked, which will work on UFS systems with soft updates, but is
> not recommended by many as it may leave some errors unchecked.

I don't think that's quite right,  fsck -p is only done if
background_fsck=NO, otherwise an fsck -pF is done instead. The
latter does an fsck -p on filesystems that aren't eligible for
background checking - usually root and any none UFS filesystems.

In other words you need to set background_fsck=NO to get a preen on
all filesystems.