Varnish on FreeBSD

Olivier Nicole on at cs.ait.ac.th
Mon Mar 30 20:22:07 PDT 2009

Hi,

I have a small issue when runnig Varnish on FreeBSD 6.4 amd64 (64 bits
extension).

I use the command (which seems very straigh forward to me):

$ /usr/local/sbin/varnishd -P /var/run/varnishd.pid -a localhost:6081 -f /usr/local/etc/varnish/default.vcl -T localhost:6082 -s malloc,5G -s file,/web/varnish,50% -u www -g www

And Varnish starts with:

storage_malloc: max size 5120 MB.
storage_file: filename: /web/varnish/varnish.5edLFk (unlinked) size 1665195 MB.
Using old SHMFILE

But:

$ df -h /web
Filesystem       Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/mfid0s1f    446G    4.0G    407G     1%    /web

The file system used for storage has 407 GB available and Varnish
plans to use up to 1626 GB out of that, that is far more than the 50%.

It could be an error in reporting the size, which would be nothing mor
ethan anoying. But it could also be an error in estimating the size
that Varnish can use, which would be a more serious error.

Any help on that?

Best regards,

Olivier