Cleaning up multiplicates in elf ldconfig path

Parv parv at pair.com
Sun Mar 29 17:11:50 PDT 2009

I am on FreeBSD/i386 6.4-STABLE (around Mar 1, 2009).  I failed to
find a solution to the (cosmetic) problem of ldconfig path having
duplicate directories (dmesg output wrapped for this email) ...

  ELF ldconfig path: /lib /usr/lib /usr/lib/compat \
  /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/local/lib \
  /misc/local/lib/compat \
  /misc/local/lib/gcc-4.2.4 \
  /misc/local/lib/gcc-4.3.3 \
  /misc/local/lib/gegl-0.0 \
  /misc/local/lib/gnash \
  /misc/local/lib/graphviz \
  /misc/local/lib/nss \
  /misc/local/lib/qt4 \
  /misc/local/lib/zsh \
  /misc/local/lib/compat
  /misc/local/lib/gcc-4.2.4 \
  /misc/local/lib/gcc-4.3.3 \
  /misc/local/lib/gegl-0.0 \
  /misc/local/lib/gnash \
  /misc/local/lib/graphviz \
  /misc/local/lib/nss \
  /misc/local/lib/qt4 \
  /misc/local/lib/zsh

Note that /usr/X11R6 & /usr/local are symbolic links to /misc/local.
Is that what is causing the "problem" (since /etc/rc.d/ldconfig
reads the default paths of both /usr/X11R6/lib & /usr/local/lib)?

If so, is it ok to eliminate the /usr/X11R6 symbolic link?  And/Or,
is there any other way to remove the multiplicates?  I suppose I
could stick in /etc/rc.conf this ...

  ldconfig_paths="/usr/lib/compat /usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/compat/package"

... but then I would have make sure above does not miss any new
paths added to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.  Opinions or suggestions?

  - Parv