Wine without X

Barnaby Scott bds at waywood.co.uk
Fri Mar 27 07:42:33 PDT 2009

Paul Schmehl wrote:

> So, you *could* do this:
> su - to root
> Download the wine tarball and untar it
> Go in to the wine directory and type the following, in order:
> ./configure --without-x
> make depends
> make
> make install
>
> That will install wine on your system without X.  Figuring out how to
> get your rendering binary to run is an exercise for you.  :-)
>
> I left wine without x installed on my system.  If you have questions, I
> *may* be able to help.

Can I ask one more possibly really dumb question, to which I can find no
answer: Is there a 'conventional', or sensible for one reason or
another, place to download application source to? Presumably you don't
want it mixed up in the ports distfiles, or in the system's source
directory. I know this sounds very silly, and the answer might be
'wherever you like', but I do like to learn the conventions which
usually have good reasons behind them.