installing freebsd on windows

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Thu Mar 26 16:39:48 PDT 2009

Wojciech Puchar wrote:

>> PC-BSD        ===>    http://www.pcbsd.org/
>> DesktopBSD    ===>    http://www.desktopbsd.net/
>>
>> And PC-BSD even provides an installer (PBI) that makes "Windows"
>> users feel at home: Download something from the web manually,
>> then click "next, next, next, finish" and have an application
>> installed. :-)
>
> even more - it's even as slow and messy as windows. no idea about
> stability - possibly it's better.
>
> personally - i've tried once PC-BSD, removed it one hour after installing.

It's certainly not slow and messy here. I installed PCBSD a couple of
months ago after a few years of rolling my own desktop and I love it. On
reasonable spec hardware it runs very well, the developers have done an
excellent job and it's really come of age recently. I now spend almost
zero time maintaining and tweaking my computer (apart from from some
laptop acpi teething troubles). I used to keep Windows XP handy for a
diminishing number of things, now it is truly redundant.

It's personal choice not a hard and fast rule. Everyone has different
circumstances. If I was using old hardware, as I think you do, I would
probably think differently but on this 2GHz 1GB ram machine it's great,
and I still have FreeBSD underneath to play with if I want.

Chris