how to configure xbiff

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Mar 26 12:44:21 PDT 2009

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:39:38 +0100 (CET), Pieter Donche <Pieter.Donche at ua.ac.be> wrote:
> From a terminal window command line xbiff -geometry 50x50-5+5 & puts
> it in my upper right corner, [...]

Do you use -5 to get rid of a window border added by KDE's window
manager?

> but if I put that in my .xinitrc
> (and chmod 755 ~/.xinitrc) nothing happens.

It needs to be loaded before the "startkde" exec (I think it was
called this way). And your .xinitrc is +x, then it should look
a bit like this:

	#!/bin/sh
	[ -f ~/.xmodmaprc ] && xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc
	xrandr --size 1400x1050 &
	xrandr --fb 1400x1050 &
	xclock -geometry 50x50+50+998 &
	xbiff -geometry 50x50+0+998 &
	xlogo -geometry 50x50+100+998 -render &
	exec startkde

All the initial stuff has to end with &, and the window manager is
the last command, prefixed by "exec" (so it replaces the shell).

> Are you using kdm window
> manager or xdm ? (I have in my /etc/ttys:
> ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodeamon" xterm on secure)

Neither. In the past, I've used xdm (as your example above, just with
xdm instead of kdm), and this worked fine.

A note towards your shell: If you're using the standard dialog shell
(i. e. the C Shell), it might be neccessary to have a ~/.xsession
which is +x and does contain:

	#!/bin/csh
	source ~/.cshrc
	exec ~/.xinitrc

> Would .xinitrc not be processed by kdm window manager?

This is completely possible. Maybe kdm defaults to a "builtin xinitrc"
that launches KDE after successful login.

I'm no KDE user so I can't tell.

Just as a side question, doesn't KDE offer something with the same
functionality like xbiff, so you can use KDE's builtin tool?

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0