utility that scans lan for client?

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Mon Mar 23 12:19:20 PDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 02:59:36PM -0400, John Almberg wrote:
> I've tried googling for this, but I guess I don't know the name of a
> utility such as this...
>
> What I'm looking for is a utility that can scan a LAN for attached
> clients... i.e., computers that are attached to the LAN.
>
> I have one box (an appliance that I have no access to), that is on
> the LAN but I don't know what IP address it's using. I'd like to
> complete my network map, and that is the one empty box on my chart.

How about something as simple as "arp -a"? This lists the arp cache of
machines recently heard by your machine. If you know the IP address of
the machine in question and its not in your arp table, ping it. Then the
MAC address will appear unless there is a router between here and there.

No need to be root.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net