issues in XFCE 4.6 (looking for a working WM)

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Fri Mar 20 05:44:24 PDT 2009

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009, Keith Seyffarth wrote:

> At this point, I guess I'm looking for recommendations on a window
> manager.
>
> Here are the major problems with XFCE4 4.6:
>
> * < 20% probability of starting X without crashing and locking
>  computer
> * 20-25 minutes to start X (was about 1 under XFCE4 4.4)
> * 0% chance of shutting down successfully if X is running
> * can't exit X once started (switches monitor to power save mode and
>  hangs)
> * maximum run time of 8 hours (average around 5 hours)
> * won't save settings

xfce-4.6 is running here on a couple of machines, with none of those
problems.  Those actually sound more like xorg problems.

> and a couple minor ones:
>
> * XFCE menu doesn't work

Which one?  In what way?  I miss the menu editor...

> * missing icons, even after theme is changed from rodent to tango

Had to manually set the icons in the panel for xterm, mousepad, thunar,
and firefox.  I think I switched back to Rodent after not liking the
Tango icons, but only GNOME and Tango show in Settings/Appearance/Icons.

> None of these were issues under XFCE4 4.4, but I'm guessing there's
> not a good way to get 4.4 back...

portdowngrade and some work can probably do it.  If your problems are
really xorg related, changing window manager won't help.