CARP Load Balance by CUP - Memory - Ethernet Usage

Hari Emani hariemani at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 20 00:45:07 PDT 2009

Good Day every one!

We have a situation and we are looking for a solution (the client is specific to implement this way):

We are using FreeBSD FW cluster (2 units) for our DMZ zone. We are using CARP for VIP and round robin load balance. The result is not always balance, most of the times it is 80/20.
We are looking at the following solution:

Implement a solution that provides LB based on the following factors:

1.	CPU
2.	Memory
3.	Ethernet traffic utilization

Theoretically I can think when a packet comes to FW1, if it is busy (say CPU is 80%) then we need to implement a solution to send the packet to FW2 and vice verse.

I heard that some tools exist to complement CARP for this purpose, but could not find at Google.

I would highly appreciate any suggestions on this (or alternate solutions – we know we can use LB appliances, but we will have to many of them for several other servers too).

Have lots of fun,

Sincerely,

Hari