Text mode dialog library like TSO

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Thu Mar 19 16:59:23 PDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:36:31AM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:22:01 -0700, Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:
> > Consider looking at dialog(3), which rides on top of ncurses.
> > There's also a CLI utility by the same name handy for shell-scripting
> > purposes.
>
> Allthough dialog does come with the basic means I did describe,
> it looks a bit... bulky? I don't want to sound impolite, but
> consider the width of
>
> 	      +------------+
> 	Name: |            |
> 	      +------------+

> 	Name: ____________
>
> which would be more... elegant. But "man dialog" is very interesting.
> It even offers functionalities (lists, yes/no buttons etc.) that
> I haven't thought of.
>
> Thank you, I'll take this into mind.

Another alternative might be the form(3) library which also is built on top
of ncurses.  It seems to be a bit more cumbersome to use than dialog(3) but
is probably somewhat closer to what you were looking for.

If you look around a bit on the web you can probably find several tutorials
and references for both curses as well as the form, menu. and panel
libraries that are usually included with most curses implementations
(including ncurses.) See for example
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NCURSES-Programming-HOWTO/

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>