Linux Compatability

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Wed Mar 18 10:34:12 PDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 06:14:59PM +0100, rasz wrote:

> hi
> i have 2 distinct questions, and first is, i installed a linux app
> (binaries) and it failed
> when run complaining that it needs a "CPU with SSE instuctions enabled".
> does anyone know what this is and related too?

SSE is an Intel extension to the original x86 instruction set. You can
tell whether your CPU has got it by looking at dmesg(8). E.g mine has
it (and most modern processors do):

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E6550  @ 2.33GHz (2333.34-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x6fb  Stepping = 11
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0xe3fd<SSE3,RSVD2,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM>
  AMD Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>

> i am running 7.2-prerelease i386 with linux_base-fc4. the only setting i
> have is fallback_elf_brand=3 (no osrelease)
> has anyone ever come across this?

Did you install your Linux app via ports? If not, then your mileage
with regards getting it going may vary.

> 2nd question, is the freebsd base (usr/src) documented anywhere, as to
> the programs it entirely contains? i thought developers handbook, but
> all i found is description of the directories in usr/src/ (unless i
> missed it elsewhere). besides that, is there any kind of database app in
> the base system no matter how compact/basic? if not, what would be the
> *closest* in ports?

You can grovel through /bin & /usr/bin to see what programs base installed.

I guess you're looking for an SQL database so you could give
databases/sqlite34 in ports a look but it's a bit difficult to
recommend anything without knowing your needs.

> thanks in advance for any info

Regards,

--

 Frank