Installing 7.1 amd64 on Dell powerEdge 2950

Olivier Nicole on at cs.ait.ac.th
Tue Mar 17 19:25:00 PDT 2009

Hi,

> I got 2 PE2950 running 7.0/amd64 bought last summer - all running
> without problems. Maybe CD/DVD drives are failing? Have you tried
> another media - DVD instead of CD for example?

Hummm, I doubt that CD drives would fail on both machines, and I tried
also an external USB attached CD drive :)

That's something to do with the architecture of the machine, for
sure. When I installed R71.1 i386+PAE, I had to disable fdc from the
kernel (and few other devices) before it would boot. But I obviously
cannot disable fdc from the boot CD :)

Thanks,

Olivier