Need help for acroread8

Manish Jain invalid.pointer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 18:01:54 PDT 2009

Hi all,

After browsing mailing lists for hours, I was finally able to
install acroread8 on my FreeBSD 7.1R system. But it STILL does not
start. Attached below is the output (repeated messages removed) :

> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomebreakpad":
 > libgnomebreakpad.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

> (acroread:9218): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders':
 > No such file or directory
>
> (acroread:9218): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Error loading XPM image loader: Image type 'xpm' is not supported
>
> (acroread:9218): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
>
> (acroread:9218): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_set_icon_list: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed
>
> (acroread:9218): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed
>
> (acroread:9218): Pango-WARNING **: No builtin or dynamically loaded modules
> were found. Pango will not work correctly. This probably means
> there was an error in the creation of:
>   '/etc/pango/pango.modules'
> You may be able to recreate this file by running pango-querymodules.
>
> (acroread:9218): Pango-CRITICAL **: _pango_engine_shape_shape: assertion `PANGO_IS_FONT (font)' failed
>
> Pango-ERROR **: file shape.c: line 75 (pango_shape): assertion failed: (glyphs->num_glyphs > 0)
> aborting...
>
> [2]+  Exit 1                  acroread

My loader.conf has linux_load=YES, rc.conf has linux_enable=YES,
linprocfs_enable=YES and fstab has an entry for linproc. I
downloaded the latest ports tarball yesterday, did a 'portupgrade
-rf emulators/linux_base-fc4', and [re]installed a number of ports
(pango, linux-pango, cairo, linux-cairo, gdk-pixbuf,
linux-gdk-pixbuf, pixman and may be a couple more). Then I installed
acroread8.  But it still does not start, as you can from the message
above.

Actually, there is at least one bug in the port as the message
reveals. At runtime, acroread8 tries to look for
/etc/pango/pango.modules, which - because of the port's linux
heritage - translates to /compat/linux/etc/pango/pango.modules. This
path is incorrect, at least with linux_base-fc4 - with which the
correct  path turns out to be
/compat/linux/etc/pango/i686-redhat-linux-gnu/pango.modules in my
case. The user has to fix it with a symlink himself.

I am beginning to wonder why can't FreeBSD simply put on the
distribution media binary packages for programs that almost everyone
uses these days (thunderbird, acroread) and which take an immense
amount of time/effort to build. The FreeBSD DVD is more than half
empty and I am sure nobody would mind spending a couple of hours
extra at download-time what possibly might save a couple of weeks
and a whole lot of headaches at install-time.

Anyway, if anyone has any clue how to get me out of this acroread
mess, I would be really grateful.

Thanks in advance
Manish Jain
invalid.pointer at gmail.com