FreeBSD Networking Questions / vlan, lagg, routing, FIBs, ezjail

Peter Cornelius pcc at gmx.net
Sun Mar 15 09:34:18 PDT 2009

Dear all,

While I'm at it, I don't seem to be able to get my head around some networking items I observed (currently only vlan(4), not ng_vlan(4), if that makes a difference):

- On my router, why do I have to set the base interface to promiscuous mode in order to get packets from/to my vlans through? Am I doing something wrong? Are there any implications of working this way?
- On my "server", is there any way to set up individual "default" routes (to the router) for each of the vlans short of tucking the ezjails behind the vlan interfaces each into their own FIB (btw,. has anyone ever done that?)?

So I'm stuck and would appreciate a hand. It probably is something pretty obvious which I persistently ignore, or something stupid I attempt to do here but I got curious now :)

Thanks a lot, and

All the best,

Peter.
--
Nur bis 16.03.! DSL-Komplettanschluss inkl. WLAN-Modem für nur
17,95 ¿/mtl. + 1 Monat gratis!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a