Linux Java Update?

Frank Jahnke jahnke at sonatabio.com
Sat Mar 14 18:00:16 PDT 2009

I'm setting up a new i386 computer, and I always include a complete
Linux browser (usually Opera), including plugins.  I went to the
linux-sun-jre16 port, and I find a disagreement on the jre version
number requested in the port (u3) versus what Sun has on their web site
as their latest (u12).  This is odd, since the native version runs u7.

Why is this?  Update 3 is a couple of years old, which is fine I guess,
but is there a reason that update 12 is not used?

Frank