SanDisk USB stick with FreeBSD 7

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Mar 13 15:38:37 PDT 2009

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:35:10 +0100 (CET), Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:
> > da0: <SanDisk Cruzer Micro 8.02> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> > da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
> > da0: Attempt to query device size failed: UNIT ATTENTION, Medium not present
>

> this suggest defective device or USB controller/driver problems.

I think so, too. FreeBSD relies on correctly working devices,
and it checks for this. The strange thing was that I could
read the partition table via "fdisk da0".

To be sure, I've tried the stick on the USB 1.0 controller
(message above) and on the USB 2.0 controller of the mainboard,
with similar result:

	umass0: <SanDisk Cruzer Micro, class 0/0, rev 2.00/2.00, addr 2> on uhub2
	da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
	da0: <SanDisk Cruzer Micro 8.02> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
	da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
	da0: Attempt to query device size failed: UNIT ATTENTION, Medium not present

> if you can - check it on another computer running other OS (linux,
> windoze)

On "Windows" PC, the stick has been accessible, but "Properties"
showed a minimum disk space occupation (circa 300 kB) allthough
there was nothing on the stick.

Linux: Not invented here. :-)

--
Polytropon