best archiver?

Eitan Adler eitanadlerlist at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 12:35:45 PDT 2009

Gary Kline wrote:
> 	guys, this is for any compression experts on-list.  my main desktop is nearly
> 	full.  i'm looking for the best means of compressing [mostly] audio files.
> 	mp3, ogg, and .flag.  i cross backup among my servers and would like to have
> 	the most reasoned approach to compressing my ~/Music/ files.  is rar/unrar
> 	better that bzip -9?  is there any new/forthcoming archiver on the horizon?
man shar

Just kidding!

I would look into archivers/bunzip and archivers/p7zip.  I recall
reading that the 7z format produces better compression rates than RAR
for already compressed audio files but I don't remember the source.  The
file formats you mentioned are already compressed and depending on the
contents you probably won't get /much/ better than you have now.

--
Eitan Adler
"Security is increased by designing for the way humans actually behave."