Binary upgrade 7.1 i386 -> amd64 ?

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Fri Mar 13 01:33:19 PDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 09:05:12AM +0100, Frederique Rijsdijk wrote:
> I'm planning to binary upgrade a machine that's now running i386
> 7.1-RELEASE-p3 to AMD64. Mainly because the machine has 8GB of memory
> and I don't like the PAE limitations.
>
> I've done this a couple of times before with 4.x -> 6.x but all remained
> i386.
>
> Are there any pitfalls when doing an upgrade of i386 to amd64 or should
> it be the same as any binary upgrade?

I don't know if a binary upgrade from i386 to amd64 is even possible, but I
am fairly certain it is not supported.  Source upgrades from i386 to amd64
are possible, but not trivial and not recommended.

The recommended procedure for changing from i386 to amd64 is to make a
backup of all important data on the machine, and then do a fresh install of
amd64 after which any needed data is restored from the backup.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se