is there a laptop ?

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Thu Mar 12 09:18:57 PDT 2009

Chris Whitehouse wrote:
> Saifi Khan wrote:
>> Hi all:
>>
>> i've looked at tuxmobil, bsdgroup.de etc and i don't want to use
>> ndiswrapper, or broadcom or additional PCMCIA card at all.
>>
>> Is there a laptop model (available in market) that experienced
>> members would like to recommend wherein  . the WiFi 802.11 a/g (PCI
>> based)
>>  . Ethernet port  . and ACPI work absolutely fine with FreeBSD 7.x ?

Coming in kinda late on this thread but...  I recently came across a
Toshiba Satellite L350 (L355D-S7825).  It works quite nicely with
7.1-STABLE.

The only issues are...

    * needed to build ath wireless driver based on some stuff I googled
    * Doesn't recognize on-board bluetooth, modem, or SD card reader.
    * The touchpad surface is flush with palm rest and triggered too easily
    * Display only does 1440x900
    * 2 hour battery life.

Pros:
     * 7.1-STABLE amd64 runs great!
     * Radeon video works great
     * ath wireless and rl0 work great
     * 2.0GHz AMD dual with 3GB RAM
     * Only $600 from BestBuy
     * 17" display
     * Does Ubuntu 8.10 (amd64) flawlessly, even 64-bit flash

This is no high-end HP or Lenovo, but for $600US, it's not a bad laptop
for 64-bit FreeBSD.  Never tried ACPI features, I just assume
suspend/resume will not work and power on/off.  YMMV

--
Regards,
Doug